Football season is coming!

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Just Cool It

[Before I begin...in my "Lynchpin" article I've added two links to stories that apply well to what I wrote there. Check them out!]

I went to Georgia over Thanksgiving for my vacation. It was a decent time, all things considered, but I learned something while I was there.

First, if a situation has been resolved, don't talk about it anymore. Especially toward someone who has to nose into anything they're told about. I learned that one the hard way, adding to the end of my story that the situation had been dealt with, everything's okay, so we don't need to talk to the child involved anymore. Instead, the person I talked to ignored my last two phrases, and proceeded to make a big deal out of it anyway. And then come back to me and tell me not to say for him to not say anything about something.

That led to problem number two...just cool it. I'm still of the opinion that something needed to be said at that point, because of a long line of similar issues over time, but I didn't handle the situation the right way at all. It was a short argument, and I was talked to basically like a five year old throughout and nothing I said sank in.

I needed to cool it at that point because I went off and ran my mouth to someone who I shouldn't have talked to, and who didn't want to hear it in the first place. Stupid idea. So I walked in, and a few minutes later decided that I needed to apologize. Which I did, but the situation started to escalate again, and I responded by saying that I didn't go out there for an argument, but to apologize, and I did.

At the same time, the actions of the person who was acting like the greatest thing on earth were being justified. I mentioned that not only were my actions wrong, so were his, and there was NO justifying either action. We were both wrong.

Eventually, I figured out I was wrong twice, and the other individual once. The person I talked to later was a bit headstrong, but that's something I should've expected when talking like I was at the time.

The point? Well, first, if the situation is resolved, keep your trap shut about it. I know there was probably a good reason in my head to blab about it at the time, but knowing who I was talking to should've made me be quiet. Second, don't go blabbing to a close relative of the person who ticked you off, because they will not agree.

Another incident later in the day that I wasn't directly involved with made me think a lot about the whole day, and what should or shouldn't have happened in both situations. I had my headphones on, and I studied over some things in my mind while the others watched a movie. That is always something good to do...let the Lord speak to you.

I did that, and He showed me the things I mentioned above. I'm not near perfect, of course, but hopefully situations like that will get me a little closer to that. Sure, some people need to be told about their actions, but you've gotta do it in the right way. I have to think a little bit on how to handle that with one person, because there's no telling how that will be taken. But if I speak the truth in love, that trumps the whole thing about being half that person's age. I may not handle it at all, the Lord might do it for me...and I need to pray toward that end. But if I feel led to say something, I know what I need to do. Speak the truth in love, and when it's resolved...

Just cool it.

No comments: