Football season is coming!

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Thinking about the soldiers

I just saw one of those commercials where they link one of our soldiers to his family and they can see each other and talk for a little while. Then at the end of the commercial, he says goodbye, gets up, and walks out, to go back to defending us.

Then on another site where I log in occasionally, there was this thing about some person who wrote that our troops get paid exactly what they should. That, of course, is hogwash. You have all these athletes making millions of bucks a year to play a game, and those who are defending our freedom don't need more money? That makes no sense to me.

I did think about it, though. What's it like to be in that situation? For a second, I tried to put myself in those shoes, trying to feel what it's like to be ten thousand miles away from home defending my family's right to be free. I don't know what it's like, I did feel a quick glimpse of it though, in that little bit of time.

From what I could gather, it's a mix of nostalgia and longing, excitement and determination all rolled into one. Nostalgia thinking about home, longing to be there, being excited to talk to the family again, and finally being determined to get this thing done so we can get back home.

I'm thankful to God for these people, most of them who don't know me, but are still out there fighting for my ability to do what I'm doing right now. Or to broadcast God's Word on the radio. It all works together, as we're taught that it always does.

That's why I get so emotional while watching the fireworks on July 4th, or singing the national anthem before a ball game. Because those things bring back to mind those who are on guard in some far away place or are out having to do things they would never have to do if they were over here. I always stand up for the anthem and take my hat off, and sing the words. That's the least I can do.

Thanks be to God for this country that we have the freedoms that we have. I pray that more people here will realize that God is what we need more of in this country, not less.

No comments: